I asked on of my students to write a first person point of view of one of the events from my last post titled "FRUIT". Enjoy.
By Kara Dawson
A lot of times we don't ask certain questions because we
are afraid of this little two letter word. That word is 'No.'
Which is not usually the answer we want. That word
tends to prevent so many people from asking questions
for fear that will be the answer. Questions like, "Will you
go on a date with me?" or something more simple, "Will
you go to church with me?" It seems like asking your
friend to go to church with you would be easy. But it isn't
really, because there is that 50/50 chance that the
answer will be that two letter word many of us fear.
I have this friend, she and I are really close. I can ask her
anything. But when it came to asking her if she wanted to
go to church with me, it was a little harder. I finally
decided that I wanted to ask, I wanted to step out of my
"comfort zone" and ask her. I thought about it and the
very worst that could happen was she would say “No.”
Which if you think about it, isn't all that bad. Then I
thought, “The best that could happen, she would say
“Yes!” So I asked her the simple question, "Do you want
to go to church with me?" She replied excitedly, "YES!"
She then told me she had never been to church. Her
family never went and her friends never asked.
The next Wednesday she came over right after school. I
asked her if she wanted to volunteer with me at Friendship
Place before church. She said, "Yeah, that sounds like
fun!" So we did just that. She loved it! Then after that
we went to church! She isn't shy so she played kick ball
with everyone and she had a blast! After youth group was
over and Darin had spoken, she looked at me and said,
"Can I ask that guy if I can have a Bible!" Surprised and
excited I said, "Yes, come here, we will go ask!" She
asked Darin and he went to get one for her. She said to
me that she had never even held a Bible before.
When Darin came back with the Bible, he said she could
only have it if she told him what she thought. She smiled
and said "Okay." He then asked, "Where are you going to
start." She was a little confused, thinking don't you
usually start at the beginning of a book? She replied with,
"ummm, Page 1..." The next day she texted me and
said, “I read Genesis!” I was shocked! She went home
Wednesday night and read the book of Genesis. I asked
her what she thought of it and she said “things made sense
now, the world was created by God!” To tell you the
truth I can't even explain how I felt right then. If I had not
asked her that simple question, "Do you want to go to
church with me?" None of this would have happened! She
now, enjoys reading the bible. She actually said to me one
day when we were hanging out. "Kara, I haven't read the
whole bible yet." I said, "That's okay, You don't need to
feel bad I still haven't read the whole Bible, and I have had
a Bible since before I could read." She was relieved! She
also LOVES volunteering with me at Friendship place,
and she is always excited to go to church with me. All this
happened because I asked the simple question, “Do you
want to go to church with me?”
No comments:
Post a Comment