As I was reading through Judges recently I kept thinking back to a verse that almost haunted me with the weight of responsibility and the ball that was dropped by the Israelites lead by Joshua. They went through so much in the years leading up to the conquering of the land. They were taught many things and saw God do amazing and miraculous acts. Things that would be talked about for centuries. Once they were confronted and set back on course after stumbling a bit we read that they served the Lord until they Died (Judges 2:7). Then they bury their great leader which must have been a sad and difficult thing to do. But what follows next is what haunted me.
In Judges 2:10 it says this, “ After that whole generation had been gathered to their fathers, another generation grew up, who knew neither the LORD nor what he had done for Israel.” How could this be? How could this young generation grow up around parents and grand parents who had seen the great acts of God and not know about them? How could they not know or hear about or be taught how awesome God is and how He helped them conquer lands, win battles, throw down kingdoms. How could this be!?!
Then it hit me. As I looked at the generation of kids around me I asked, “how am I doing at making sure that they know the greatness of our God? Am I living out my faith in front of them so that they will see by my life that God is worth serving? That this thing called the church, the bride of Christ, is truly the hope for the world.”
It is our responsibility as Christ Followers to put it upon ourselves to be sure that this generation follows the God creator not the godless world around them.
In James 2:10 there is another verse that my son recently memorized for AWANA and it speaks about the importance of obedience. “ For whoever keeps the whole law and yet stumbles at just one point is guilty of breaking all of it.” Another great 2:10 that we as a generation need to communicate to the youth of our day.
It matters not if you are a parent. If you are a Christ follower it is your responsibility, as it says in Titus, to help bring up the young ones in the ways of the Lord so that they will be fit for doing good.
Don’t take the 2:10 to nowhere.
1 comment:
Darin,
This was so good I read it to my friend, Rychelle. You are a very good writer and these are very challenging thoughts. THANKS!!
Post a Comment