Monday, March 09, 2009

When the Church and the world collide...

After reading bout the recent church shooting in Maryville, IL (just outside of St. Louis) I just wonder if the church would be wise to ramp up security. If our goal is to reach those who have issues with the world, people, religion, God, etc. why would we want to keep them out of our churches? If we are to reach out to them, we should let them in baggage and all, right? But we need to be alive to do so. When the world and the church collide on our own turf we get nervous. When the the church and the world collide on 'their' turf, 'they' get nervous.

So, if we have to choose which side on which to be out of balance, too many of them in our house or too many of us in their house, which do we choose? Honestly, I believe that is the wrong question to be asking and we need to find a better one.

Pray for the First Baptist Church of Maryville, IL and the Winters family. Pastor Winters left behind two daughters and a wife who are asking "WHY?"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

If you were a criminally-minded juvenile yourself, would you not feel extremely judged and uncomfortable being called to a church with a bunch of security officers standing around?

While I agree that it can be dangerous, don't forget that folks in other countries are praying for Americans to be prosecuted. Don't get gun-shaw as soon as danger looks our way. Above anything else, I think people like that need to be trusted, and felt loved. Making someone feel surrounded and watched doesn't exactly show either one...

Aly K. said...

I think I agree with Aaron. I dunno, weren't churches formerly left unlocked all the time some amount of decades ago? I don't think security needs to be hyped up as much. I didn't even hear about this shooting until now... wow. I'll pray for the families, though.